Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Easter Typography Posters

*Update- Use these as inspiration to decorate sideways, your driveway, windows, etc. or to make cards to send to friends and family!

In preparation for celebration of the season of Easter, I helped my students create some typography style posters before we left for spring break.  While I didn't want them to forget about Holy Week, I did want them to think about that all of Lent and Holy Week is a preparation for Easter.  This art project will be hanging up to greet them when they return to school next week, replacing our Lent decorations and Stations of the Cross.

It was an easy project and allowed the kids to be as creative as they wanted.   We talked about how lettering and layout are themselves a kind of art.  We brainstormed different styles of lettering like these:


We then decided to use those styles to create a poster using a quote or Bible verse about Easter.  Here are the quotes that I had up on the board for the kids to pick from:

He is risen!  Alleluia!  He is risen indeed! (traditional Paschal greeting)
Alleluia!  Christ is Risen!
"I am the Resurrection and the Life, he who believes in me will live, even if he dies." ~John 11:25
"Behold, I am making all things new!" ~Revelation 21:5
"He is not here, for He has risen as He said." ~Matthew 28:6
"Go quickly and tell the disciples that He has risen from the dead." ~Matthew 28:7

We used oil pastels on black construction paper for an extra pop.  I (and the kids) were really pleased with how they turned out.  I think that the design and creativity that they showed is awesome.  I look forward to using them to brighten the hallways for the students return!

Here are a few examples of what the kids came up with:

Whoops...little spelling mistake :)






No comments:

Post a Comment