Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Angelus


I want to bring back the Angelus.

Pausing during the day to join with many others to thank God and ask him to bless our work seems like a practice the world needs to reinstate.  Traditionally said at 6 a.m., noon, and 6 p.m. with origins dating to the 12th Century, I think that the Angelus is the first "new" prayer that I am going to add to my classroom schedule this fall.

And, I just might get the kids into the routine by praying alongside our Bishop:

You can read more about the origins of the Angelus here.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I think I heard they say the Angelus at noon at St. Vincent School. I keep meaning to do it with the boys at lunchtime, but that never falls at noon. Since they can't tell time yet I guess it wouldn't matter though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go to lunch at 11:50, so we are praying together at 11:45...I don't think the time is the critical part :) If you are able to get the boys to memorize it, I want some tips! I think that it is going to take quite a while for my kids to get it down!

      Delete
    2. You should ask Rachel or RyAnne about it. I'm sure I heard about SVDP doing it from one of them.

      Delete