Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fulton Sheen Graphic Novel

 



In my journey this year teaching about Venerable Fulton J. Sheen, my students and I really enjoying using this graphic novel called Life is Worth Living: The Life of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

It combines photographs and graphic-novel style illustrations...
 ...and chronicles FJS's whole life, with highlights, quotes, and stories.



I used several copies of this graphic novel as a small group activity after I had already introduced my students to FJS through the documentary about his life.  However, I think that it could be used to teach about him from the beginning, and would be best for grades 3rd and up.  Since they already knew a little, my students enjoyed reinforcing their knowledge and finding some of their favorite stories within the pages.

This graphic novel could easily support some of the Fulton Sheen Journal Writing activities from my earlier post, especially the post-it note activities.  It packs a lot of info into a small amount of text and has great companion illustrations, making it awesome for reluctant or struggling readers.

To get your own copies of the graphic novel, contact the Archbishop Fulton Sheen Foundation.

***UPDATE***
The Foundation also has a matching coloring book to go along with the graphic novel now!
To get it or the novel, click on the link above or contact them at:
The Archbishop Fulton John Sheen Foundation
419 NE Madison Ave, Peoria, IL 61603
PHONE: 309-671-1550 or 877-71-SHEEN
FAX: 309-677-1573
EMAIL: info@sheencause.org

2 comments:

  1. I have searched far and wide for "Life is Worth Living: The Life of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen." I can not find even one copy. Where of where did you find yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I don't think that the graphic novel is available online. I live in the home diocese of Sheen's cause for canonization, so I got mine at the museum/Foundation headquarters, which is who had the book created. I am sure that you can order through them and they could ship it to you.
      Contact them at:
      The Archbishop Fulton John Sheen Foundation
      419 NE Madison Ave
      Peoria, IL 61603
      PHONE: 309-671-1550
      PHONE: 877-71-SHEEN
      FAX: 309-677-1573
      EMAIL: info@sheencause.org

      Delete