Saturday, December 15, 2012

Advent Prayer Ring

This was a project that I made a few years ago with a group of high school girls.  They quite enjoyed it, and while I don't know how much they have continued to use it, but I pull mine out every year.  It was simple and cheap, and I think could go over well with some Youth Group kids or even adult Bible studies.

The process was simple.  I typed up an awesome Bible verse for each of the days of Advent and for the Octave of Christmas.  You can use the verse that I chose in this document:

We then cut up purple, white, and pink paper and glued each verse on the appropriate color.  Purple for all the days of Advent, with the exception of pink for the third Sunday, and white for the days of Christmas.  I made this intentionally so that it could be used year after year.  The days are labeled "Monday Week One of Advent" etc.

We then punched a hole in each of the corners and put them all on a binder ring.  Because we are girls, we decorated with ribbons and bells and Christmas-y type things.

The idea is to read and pray about the verse for the day.  I usually hung mine on the knob of one of my kitchen cabinets where I saw it each morning.  As I made my morning coffee, I would read the verse, pray a bit, and then add an intention for the day on the back of the card.  Because I have used the same set of cards for several years, it has been a cool way to see how those intentions have changed & stayed the same, how God has answered prayers, and how I have grown and learned.  I am glad that we made this project, and glad that I hung on to it after the first year!

No comments:

Post a Comment