Sunday, February 5, 2012

Keeping the Sabbath #11

After passing through a challenging week, I am looking forward to a fresh start with today's dawn.  A new opportunity to trust.  A chance to catch up.  A time to breath, pray, & rest.  Keeping the Sabbath holy...means keeping all the days of my week holy. 

1. A Song

2. A Verse
Oh. My. Goodness.  I almost laughed out loud when I read today's first reading.  Because I am in a woe-is-me-drama-queen-mood, I can relate to Job.  I, however, need to stop having a pity party.  That is not the point of this reading.
"Job spoke, saying: Is not man's life on earth a drudgery? Are not his days those of hirelings? He is a slave who longs for the shade, a hireling who waits for his wages. So I have been assigned months of misery, and troubled nights have been allotted to me. If in bed I say, "When shall I arise?" then the night drags on; I am filled with restlessness until the dawn. My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle; they come to an end without hope. Remember that my life is like the wind; I shall not see happiness again." ~Job 7:1-4, 6-7

3. A Quote

"Seeing the sun, the moon and the stars, I said to myself: 'Who could be the Master of these beautiful things?' And I felt a great desire to see Him, to know Him and to pay Him homage." ~St. Josephine Bakhita

(Did you know that it is her feast day this week?  I love her story, and very much enjoyed watching this movie- despite the fact that it is very long and subtitled. As a slave who fought to have her inherit worth recognized and for the right to practice her faith, I think that her story also has some very pertinent lessons today, based on most of America's view of the worth of a human life and protection of religious freedom. St. Josephine Bakhita, pray for America.)


4.  An Image
Government leaders.  Not much has changed in 2000 years.

5. A Blessing
Remember my challenge last week? It is going remarkably well.  Still tough, but blessed.  (Probably another reason why I identified so well with today's first reading... If in bed I say, "When shall I arise?" then the night drags on; I am filled with restlessness until the dawn. Well said, Job.)

6. A Challenge
To stop worrying about money.  Ugh.  Actually to stop worrying all together. Doesn't that sound nice...

7. An Intention
I am praying for a united front among all people of faith who are willing to challenge the role that Mr. Obama thinks the government can take in the lives of American citizens.  We need to stand up and fight- and by fight, I mean fast and pray.  This battle can only be won at an Altar.  Have you read any of the 153 statements issued by Catholic Bishops from around the country?  They are "calling us to arms" for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment